Tinnitus is a ringing, whistling, hissing or whooshing inside of the ear when there is no apparent source of sound. The buzzing or ringing sound can be persistent, intermittent and prolonged, causing frustration and great distress.
This condition is very common with 1 in 10 adults suffering from mild tinnitus.
It can result from:
- Loud noise exposure
- Adverse reaction to medication such as aspirin, antibiotics and quinine
- Meniere’s disease, which can also cause dizziness, nausea, and fluctuating hearing loss
- Pregnancy, anaemia and an overactive thyroid
- Benign intracranial hypertension – an increase in the pressure of fluid surrounding the brain
- Jaw joint misalignment
- Stress and fatigue can sometimes worsen the symptoms of tinnitus, as can alcohol, caffeine and smoking
Unfortunately, tinnitus is not a simple problem with a simple solution. Everybody’s tinnitus noise is specific to them, and as a result treatments need to be tailored to the individual.
If you are experiencing an annoying buzzing sound in your ears and would like to discuss your options to manage it, call us on 07 3366 9355 to arrange an appointment to click here to make your booking online.