When it comes to advancing technology to keep up with the demand for enhanced integration, hearing aids are well and truly keeping up! With a range of smartphone apps already on the market, it’s easier than ever to customise your hearing aids to suit your everyday surroundings. We’ve put together a list of the top smartphone apps to improve your hearing aid experience and everyday lifestyle.
To use with hearing aids...
ReSound smart app (Free)
The ReSound smart app is compatible with a wide range of hearing aids including ReSound LiNX², ReSound LiNX, ReSound LiNX TS, ReSound ENZO², ReSound ENZO and ReSound UpSmart. The app works with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch and select Android devices. Its features include:
- Volume control, including treble and bass.
- Ability to customise and save favourite programs such as ‘outdoors’ or ‘restaurant’ to regularly come back to - you can even add specific addresses!
- Track your hearing aids if you lose them.
- Separate audio controls when watching television or listening to music so that you can control both surrounding sounds and received audio.
ReSound smart 3D app (Free)
The smart 3D app is ReSound’s latest development in smart hearing aid technology. It’s compatible with ReSound LiNX 3D and ReSound ENZO 3D hearing aids and can be used on smart devices (apple and android) and even the Apple Watch! This app enjoys all of the features of the ReSound smart app, with a few handy additions:
- New user onboarding and ongoing functional tips to encourage easy usage.
- Enhanced sound settings including noise filter, speech focus and wind noise reduction.
- Remote fine tuning so that your audiologist can adjust your aids for you without having to book an appointment with the clinic.
- Tinnitus management.
Starkey TruLink hearing control
Available for both Apple and Android smart devices (iPhone, iPad and iPod), TruLink allows you to stream music, phone calls, facetime, video and more to your hearing aids for superior convenience. The app is compatible with “made for iPhone” hearing aids from Starkey, Audibel, NuEar, MicroTech and AGX Hearing. It’s main features include:
- Audio streaming through your smart device.
- Ability to personalise and geo-tag hearing aid settings as ‘memories’ which will kick into effect when you walk into particular saved locations.
- Allows you to record, playback and email live sound sources.
- Find your hearing aids feature if you lose them.
There are also a few nifty apps that can both test your hearing and relieve tinnitus, and they don't need to be used in conjunction with a hearing aid.
To test your hearing...
SoundCheck hearing test
This is a great way to monitor your hearing so that you know when it’s time to think about visiting an audiologist and purchase a set of hearing aids. The Starkey SoundCheck hearing test allows you to measure environmental noise levels as well as your own hearing ability.
Hear Coach listening game
Test your cognitive thinking and auditory sharpness in one hit with the Starkey Hear Coach listening game. It’s great if you’re up for a challenge and can be used by everyone. Each level includes different ranges of loud to quiet background noises so that you can train your hearing for different locations.
To relieve tinnitus...
Relax is an app by Starkey that includes twelve different relief sounds aimed to reduce the severity of tinnitus and provide the user with relief. These sounds can either be played on your smart device or streamed through your hearing aids (for a full list of compatible hearing aids see here).
ReSound relief (Free)
The ReSound relief app is a highly customisable app to assist those suffering from tinnitus. Users can play and customise soundscapes to distract from their tinnitus. They can also participate in audio exercises and adjust sounds to level the audio between their left and right ears. If the user’s tinnitus frequently prevents them from sleeping, they can set a timer for their soundscape to turn off after they have fallen asleep.