Hearing is something that a lot of people take for granted. Being able to hear a phone ring or birds chirp are things we don’t usually give a second thought to.
However, for somebody suffering from hearing loss, not being able to hear everyday sounds can be incredibly isolating.
Why hearing loss occurs?
Hearing loss, like many other health-related matters, can occur at any stage of life, for a number of different reasons. In some cases, hearing loss is inherited (see: genetic hearing loss) and doesn’t present itself until later on in life. For other people, it can appear earlier and may be heightened by exposure to loud noises, head injuries, illnesses or certain medications.
Why it's important to take the test
Hearing tests should be a routine process throughout your life - just as you would check your eyes or your teeth. Hearing loss can come on gradually, over long periods of time, so it’s easy for our brains to adapt to quietening sounds or people speaking more softly.
This, unfortunately, means it can be hard to know whether or not you’re suffering from hearing loss until it starts to impact your quality of life.
Taking a hearing test early on can save a lot of future frustration such as loss of connection to your loved ones. Also recent research has found a strong link to untreated hearing loss and dementia, loss of balance, reduced memory and depression, just to mention a few.
In our daily life it is also about creating less conflict with your loved one and colleagues. Hearing clearly enables you to communicate well and confidently, creating a bond and real connection with the people that matter to you.
If you love your family you should consider giving them the gift of your hearing, so you can all reconnect on a higher level. It’s all about connecting with people, and if you strip it all down, it is all about love.
And you don’t have to be a senior citizen to have hearing loss – although you are more likely to suffer hearing impairment if you are over 70. Did you know that 75% of All Australians with a hearing loss are younger than 65 years of age. You are very likely to have friends that have a hearing loss, some untreated and some that have invisible hearing aids that no one knows about.
No matter your age, if you think you have hearing loss, you’ve come to the right place.
Hearing impairment is socially debilitating, but it doesn’t have to be. Modern hearing aids can improve your quality of life, help you reconnect with your loved ones and bring back the life you once had. We are particularly passionate about invisible hearing aids, so no-one but you will know you are wearing one.
I THINK I HAVE SOME HEARING LOSS…
Common signs that people with hearing loss have include:
If you have these common signs, it’s likely that you have hearing loss.
You can take our online hearing test, call our clinic on 07 3366 9355 or email us to arrange a free hearing test in one of our clinics in Ashgrove, Chermside, Carina Hill or Kenmore.
I am too young to have hearing loss...
The realisation of hearing loss at any age can be potentially devastating. This can be further amplified if the person is younger than traditionally expected, i.e. under 60. If this is you, then here are a few things you need to know:
but I'm struggling
- Hearing loss can happen at any age, and often, mild hearing loss starts in early forties.
- Environmental factors such as exposure to noise, through the type of job you have or listening to loud music, can damage your hearing.
- Exposure to toxins, including side effects of some medication can also damage your hearing.
- Hearing loss is linked to dementia and early intervention may also prevent dementia.
- Clunky and large hearing aids are a thing of the past. Luckily, today’s modern technology has come a long way and hearing aids these days are small (often invisible) and no one has to know that you are wearing them. New technology also allows seamless integration into a variety of devices (mobile phones, music players etc) through Bluetooth ®. We are particularly passionate about invisible hearing aids and have several options on offer.
- You can take our online hearing test in the privacy of your own home to help you determine if you have hearing loss.
- We offer free hearing tests at Health & Hearing that are also obligation free, no pressure. Call us on 07 3366 9355 to arrange an appointment or click here to email us.
- We are proud to be independent, which means we work hard to find the best treatments from the full range of available solutions, including tinnitus management, rehabilitation, counselling, and hearing aids from all leading manufacturers.
How do you we test your hearing?
During your free 30 minute consultation with us, we will check your ear canals and conduct a hearing baseline measurement. This involves measuring the intensity (decibels) and frequency (hertz) of the sounds you can and can’t hear and at what thresholds.
We’ll then categorise your results as either mild, moderate, severe or profound hearing loss (don’t worry, we’ll explain these to you in more detail when we see you). We will also be able to recommend what actions you should take from here on.
We pride ourselves with not being pushy or hard selling. We value Kindness and Respect, you will see that come through loud and clear if you decide to visit us. Want some proof of that? Just visit our website and click on ‘Testimonials’ tab, and you will hear it from dozens of our clients.
Need more information? Feel free to give us a call on (07) 3366 9355.
Want to know more about what happens in a consultation?
View our Clinical Process Video
LOOKING FOR HEARING AIDS?
Try on hearing aids that only you will know you are wearing.
If you are thinking about upgrading or looking to buy a new hearing aid, I invite you to come into one of our clinics for a “H&H Try it on” session. This is where my qualified team will walk you through the features, answer any questions and give you the chance to try the amazing technology on for yourself.
The session takes about half an hour… a little bit longer if you want to look at several… look in the mirror, see how it looks and get comfortable… We'll take the time to walk you through the process… so you can get a really good feeling of the devices… and make sure you make the right choice.
Buy from Brisbane's most trusted hearing specialist
We are dedicated to providing convenient, affordable solutions so you can regain your youthful hearing.
So why should you buy from Health and Hearing?
- We specialise in invisible hearing aids, so only you will know you’re wearing them.
- We are independent, so you will get the hearing aid you need, calibrated specifically for you, so you will get the best out of your aids
- No pressure, obligation free process
- 14-Day Love It Or Return It Guarantee
- 3 – 5 Year Total Warranty Cover for total peace of mind
- Free hearing tests and 365 Days aftercare support
A recent client satisfaction study found that 86% of H&H clients rate their hearing aids an 8 out of 10 or better. The largest group was by far the 10/10 group.
86% of our customers say
our hearing aids are an
8/10 or better!*
*Data based on over 100 satisfaction surveys.
What we recommend
We recommend that you have a hearing consultation to determine the best aid for you before buying anything. Unlike most hearing ‘clinics’ that are owned by hearing aid manufacturers or large global retail chains, which are really just shop-fronts to sell their products, ‘Health & Hearing’ is truly independent.
This means that our hearing aid recommendations are totally focused on what’s best for you, helping you get the best hearing outcome possible.
We don’t just sell our client a hearing aid on the chance that it might work. We insist you trial the devices for 14 days to really try it out in your daily environments.
The type of hearing aid we recommend for you will depend on:
- The degree of your hearing loss
- Your lifestyle
- Whether you are employed or retired
- Your preferences (hidden or slightly visible)
- Affordability for your personal circumstances
Do yourself a favour…
If you have a hearing loss and have hearing instruments already or are researching getting some, I strongly recommend you consider the ReSound Linx 3d devices.
ReSound was the first to break though the barrier and created the 2.4 mega hertz technology, enabling straight connection to smart phones. It has taken their competitors 5 years to get their first ‘Smart’ hearing instruments on the market.
ReSound had a 5 years head start and they have not wasted a moment. The latest Linx 3D is in my opinion the best hearing aid on the market, our clients come back reporting a whole new level of satisfaction.
Hearing care wherever you are
Get updates without making a trip to the clinic Wouldn't it be great if your hearing aid settings could be updated without making a trip to the hearing clinic? Now they can, with the ReSound Smart 3D app and ReSound Assist.
Request assistance through the ReSound Smart 3D app. Simply answer a few short questions and your hearing care professional can fine-tune your settings and send the updates back to you. With a simple install, your hearing aids are updated and you are ready to go.
What our satisfied customers are saying...
“I’m now hearing the best I can ever remember.”
“Health & Hearing was a big step up from anywhere I’d been in the past.“
“The benefits of being able to participate with loved ones and interacting with others in everyday situations cannot be overstated.”
“I’ve used hearing aids for over 15 years and have never been very satisfied till now.”